Corpora: summary: error tagging of learners' English

vicky man vickyman at hkbu.edu.hk
Sun Nov 26 13:24:08 UTC 2000

Dear all--

I'd like to express my true appreciation to the prompt replies and/or
suggestions given by the following people to my query on tagging learners'
English errors.

Granger Sylviane <granger at lige.ucl.ac.be>
Amanda Schiffrin <mandy at comp.leeds.ac.uk>
E S Atwell <eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk>
Paul Clough <p.clough at dcs.shef.ac.uk>
John Milton <lcjohn at ust.hk>
Pete Whitelock <pete at sharp.co.uk>
Mark Lewellen <lewellen at erols.com>
Jerker Lindblom <jerker.lindblom at gri.no>
Andrew Harley <aharley at cambridge.org>
Pat  Maier <P.J.Maier at soton.ac.uk>

Here's a summary:

1) Error Editor developed by the Centre for English Corpus Linguistics at
the Université Catholique de Louvain; contact: Sylvie de Cock
<decock at lige.ucl.ac.be>.
More information on the above error tagging system is given in Dagneaux et
al
1998: Computer-assisted Error Analysis. System 26/2, 163-174.

2) Microsoft Word-2000

3) COALA, a tool for 'semi-automatic' interlanguage analysis (which
essentially meant incrementing annotations in a relational database).
http://ausarts.anu.edu.au/mel/linguistics/welcome.html

4) a system developed by Donald Loritz and some of his Ph.D. students at
Georgetown University. contact:  Don.Loritz at ambercon.net.

5) NativeEnglish Writing Assistant developed by L&H.  More info can be found
on L&H's web site < http://www.lhsl.com/> under the name CorrectEnglish
which is the OEM-version.

6) Cambridge Leaners' Corpus:  a 3-million-word manual tagged corpus of
learners' examination scripts by the Cambridge University Press
<http://www.cambridge.org/elt/reference/clc.htm>

7) ISLE demo pronunciation tutor,
http://nats-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~isle/download.html

8)  MATE Workbench  http://mate.nis.sdu.dk/