AW: Corpora: non-alphabetic language databases

Thomas Schmidt thomas.schmidt at uni-hamburg.de
Thu Nov 30 11:59:38 UTC 2000

The unicode standard is indeed a promising solution for representing
non-alphabetic characters of any kind. Concerning the original question: I
don't know much about sign languages, but I wouldn't be surprised if the
unicode consortium has taken or will take these into account.If they don't,
the design of the unicode standard leaves room for user-defined symbols, so
it should be possible, for instance, to code alphabetic and sign language
symbols within one document.
The unicode homepage is on

	http://www.unicode.org/