Corpora: NAACL-2001 Workshop on Adaptation in Dialogue Systems CFP

Priscilla Rasmussen rasmusse at cs.rutgers.edu
Thu Nov 30 20:43:44 UTC 2000

Preliminary Call for Papers
NAACL 2001 Workshop on Adaptation in Dialogue Systems

co-chairs: Cindi Thompson and Eric Horvitz

The purpose of this workshop is to bring together researchers
investigating the application of learning and adaptation to dialogue
systems, both speech and text based.

In this workshop we encourage papers on either theoretical or applied
research in adaptation for dialogue, that includes learning procedures
as well as decision making methods aimed at dynamically reconfiguring
dialogue behavior based on the context.  We would also like to explore
techniques that allow a dialogue system to learn with experience or
from data sets gathered from empirical studies.  We welcome
submissions from researchers supplementing the traditional development
of dialogue systems with techniques from machine learning, statistical
NLP, and decision theory.

We solicit papers from a number of research areas, including:

-Use of machine learning techniques at all levels of dialogue, from
speech recognition to generation; from dialogue strategy to user
modeling

-Adapting to the user as a dialogue progresses

-Dialogue as decision making under uncertainty

-User and user group modeling

-Use of corpora in developing components of dialogue systems,
including issues in annotation

-Evaluation of adaptive dialogue systems

-Comparison of different techniques in applying adaptive techniques to
dialogue

We also hope to include a session for the demonstration of working
systems, as time permits.  The demonstration sessions will be open to
anyone who wishes to bring their adaptive conversational systems for
demonstration to other members of the workshop.  Presenters are asked
to submit a paper that is specifically directed at a demonstration of
their current systems.

A web site that will provide additional information on the
workshop as it becomes available is located at:
            http://www.cs.utah.edu/~cindi/AdaptDial.html

For more information:
Please direct questions to Eric Horvitz (horvitz at microsoft.com) or
Cindi Thompson (cindi at cs.utah.edu).