Corpora: An Empirical Grammar of the English Verb System

John Williams johnw at cwcom.net
Tue Oct 17 16:06:17 UTC 2000

Norbert Schlueter wrote:

> The first fully corpus-based grammar of the English verb system has
> now been published:
>
> Dieter Mindt
> An Empirical Grammar of the English Verb System
> Berlin: Cornelsen, 2000
> 657 pp. DM 148,00
> ISBN 3-464-37110-7

The senior editors of COBUILD's comprehensive survey of English verb
patterns have asked me to point out that their volume was published in
1996. It was fully corpus-based (or 'corpus-driven' in the COBUILD
terminology), using the (then) 250-million word Bank of English.

The full reference is:

Collins COBUILD Grammar Patterns 1: Verbs
HarperCollins Publishers, London, 1996
650 (+ xxii) pp.
ISBN 0 00 375051 5  (HB)
ISBN 0 00 375062 0  (PB)