Corpora: Re: Typing accents in Windows/Words (US-kbd)

David Powers powers at infoeng.flinders.edu.au
Fri Apr 20 03:32:41 UTC 2001

Rene.Valdes at lhsl.com wrote:

>    used to one without them! And anyway, what's the problem with
>    diacritics?
>    Monica Merino

If you can tell me how to type them in Word under Windows on a US
English keyboard I would appreciate it.

I only know two methods.  Open the Character Map application and

1. Mouse click the character you want, clear the text field, click
select, click copy, and paste into your document, then set the font and
character attributes consistent with the surrounding text. Remember the
ALT-0233 (é) or whatever key combination is shown.

2. Use the appropriate remembered 5 key combination from 1.

I have searched in vain for shortcuts similar to those that can be used
in professional products and operating systems. I used to use a laptop
with a German keyboard and flip between US and German layouts depending
if I was typing English or something else, but that laptop has been
retired (386SX).

dP
--  powers at ieee.org    http://www.cs.flinders.edu.au/People/David_Powers
Associate Professor David M. W. Powers PhD   Facsimile:  +61-8 820 13626
Director, AILab, Informatics & Engineering   UniOffice:     08 820 13663
The Flinders University of South Australia   Secretary:        820 12662
GPO Box 2100 ADELAIDE South Australia 5001   PrvMobile:   +61-414-824307

Physical/Courier: 343-5, Information Science/Technology Bldg: CarPark 15