Corpora: On-line KWIC system in PHP

Antonio Ruiz Tinoco a-ruiz at hoffman.cc.sophia.ac.jp
Fri Jan 5 08:01:01 UTC 2001

Hello,

May I introduce myself as a new member of this list?
I'm an associate professor of Spanish Linguistics at Sophia University,
Tokyo.

I am interested in processing corpora (mainly in Spanish and Japanese) and
now I am preparing some exercises for my students for the new course
beginning next April. What I am trying to do is a Web KWIC system using only
(or mainly) PHP.

Is there anybody using PHP for this purpose? For big corpora I am developing
a system with PHP and MySQL, and I think that its response time is quite
fast compared with PERL even without a backend database. I am not using by
now any type of indexation, just putting the text in ASCII code. It works
with almost any language in plain text files, including Japanese.

For test purposes, I am using the following web page:
 http://133.12.37.60/kwic/kwic.html
This page is in Spanish but it is rather simple. Just put any string in the
window, choose a corpus and press. Regular expressions can be tested in
 http://133.12.37.60/kwic/kwic-reg.html

Of course, I will release the code when it is “viewable”.  In a few months?
I would be most grateful for any comments.  Thanks.

Antonio Ruiz Tinoco
Sophia University, Tokyo
a-ruiz at hoffman.cc.sophia.ac.jp