Corpora: parser recommendation

E S Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 16:04:59 UTC 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Stav Tamy wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Can anybody point me to a free, user friendly, POS tagger for English? I
> am doing some CTA as part of my PhD research, and cannot contemplate at
> length the mysteries of tagging :-). I remember a summery on the subject
> but couldn't find it in the corpora archives.
>
> Thanks,
> Tamy Stav, the Technion.
> tamy at tx.technion.ac.il

Tamy,
Try emailing English text to amalgam-tagger at comp.leeds.ac.uk
It comes back with a POS-tag on each word.  You can choose from a range of
English Corpus POS-tag schemes, which you specify in the SUBJECT: field.
For example, if the e-mail message is

To: amalgam-tagger at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Subject: verbose lob

If he's not in action, he's in traction!

the following text will be e-mailed back:

if/CS         conjunction, subordinating
he/PP3A       pronoun, personal, nominative, 3rd person singular
's/BEZ        verb "to be", present tense, 3rd person singular
not/XNOT      negator
in/IN         preposition
action/NN     noun, singular, common
,/,           comma
he/PP3A       pronoun, personal, nominative, 3rd person singular
's/BEZ        verb "to be", present tense, 3rd person singular
in/IN         preposition
traction/NN   noun, singular, common
!/!           exclamation mark

SEE http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/amalgam/amalgam/amalgtag3.html
for more details of SUBJECT: options

enjoy!

Eric Atwell

--
Eric Atwell, Distributed Multimedia Systems MSc Tutor & SOCRATES Tutor
School of Computing, University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT
WWW: http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric  EMAIL: eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk