Corpora: Job offer

Naomi Hallan naomi.hallan at ci.educ.lu
Sat Jul 7 09:35:37 UTC 2001

Dear List Members,

My Chemnitz colleagues would be grateful if you could draw people's
attention to the following.

Thanks -- Naomi

Research vacancy: Internet Grammar

The English Department at the Chemnitz University of Technology is
looking for a graduate (linguistics/languages/teaching/...) with good
Internet-computing skills to join our research project as soon as
possible. Information on the project "Learner Behaviour in the
Internet Grammar" can be found following this link
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/InternetGrammar/
The position would be initially for one year with payment on the Bat
IIa/2 (Ost) scale and the salary level dependent on age and
experience.

What is the Internet Grammar?
We are building a web-based grammar-learning environment, for
advanced learners of English. We use material from a variety of
corpora, including our own English-German Translation Corpus, to
provide learning material and exercises.

Your tasks would be:
(a) to help extend the functionality of the grammar, both for users
and  researchers, through the development of new features and the
improvement of existing ones;
(b) to assist with the extraction and analysis of learner data;
(c) to maintain the existing structures, which involve html
documents, cgi scripts, corpus search facilities and interactive
animations, as well as conventional elements of a web-site.

  Qualifications:
  You will have a degree in a relevant subject and be able to show
  possession of the necessary software skills - such as cgi, perl or
  javascript, in addition to html - or a willingness to acquire them
  very rapidly. You should also have an interest in the use of the Web
  and corpora for language teaching and learning. You should enjoy
  working in a team and value the opportunity to help with the further
  development of our project. The working language of the project is
  English, so fluency would be a definite advantage.

  Working in Chemnitz?
  Apart from the satisfaction of helping to see an exciting research
  project to its completion, you would have the advantage of a
  stimulating university environment in a city which is growing and
  changing every day.

Please email your  CV and covering letter as soon as possible,
preferably by July 16, to:
Prof. Dr. Josef Schmied
realcentre at phil.tu-chemnitz.de
--
Naomi Hallan,
Project: 'Learner Behaviour in the InternetGrammar', Englische
naomi.hallan at phil.tu-chemnitz.de
145 route de Luxembourg, L-7374 Helmdange, Luxembourg. mail:
naomi.hallan at ci.educ.lu
Please send any reply to both mail addresses -- thanks.