Corpora: Out-of-print Corpus Linguistics books

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 15:31:10 UTC 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Geoffrey Sampson wrote:

> Another thing which is very often done when a newish academic discipline
> develops towards maturity is that someone compiles a book (Americans often
> call them "readers") containing a collection of many of the "classic"
> articles which have shaped the field ... I think it
> would be an excellent idea for someone to do this for corpus linguistics
> by now.  In fact, if no-one is doing so, I would be half inclined to suggest
> such a venture to my own publisher.

What a great idea! But why not do it electronically? why not in fact
make a corpus of such articles? then we could do an empirical study of
the emerging terminology of the discipline...

Actually, this is quite a serious suggestion. It would also be really
interesting to see whether a consensus emerged as to the (say) 50 "must
have" items that should be in such a reader.

Lou