Corpora: "hash" (was "at sign")

Henning Reetz Henning.Reetz at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Oct 15 11:01:24 UTC 2001

An addition to Geoffrey Sampson's comments:

in North-Germany the symbol for their pound (500 grams) is written as what
I always perceived as two 't' - connected and the line at the second 't'
turned around and formed the horizontal line of both 't's -- an 'lb' with a
horizontal line would look very similar ('tb'). I learned at school the
(wrong?) reason for two t's, but forgot all about it.

Henning Reetz

Geoffrey Sampson wrote:

>I am pretty sure the reason for calling the # sign "pound" is that its
>graphic "etymology" was the letters lb with a horizontal line ligaturing
>them together, lb being the standard abbreviation for "pound", from
>Latin "librum" ("libra"?  I can't remember the gender).  In my lifetime
>in Britain, until recently when the ayatollahs of Brussels set about
>banning our weights and measures, we didn't use a special symbol to
>abbreviate "pound weight" but just typed/printed the ordinary "lb" letters;
>but in old documents I have seen "lb" with a cross line printed as a
>special "sort", as printers would call it, and I believe that is the
>symbol from which "#" developed in the USA.  I think too (but now things
>are getting a bit mistier) that Americans at one stage wrote "#5" to
>mean "five pounds weight", rather than, as they now do, "number 5".

-->snip <--

                              (o o)
          ----------------oOO--(_)--OOo-----------------
         |                                              |
 ________|                 Henning Reetz                |________
 \       |         Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft        |       /
  \      |             Universitaet Konstanz            |      /
   \     |      Fach D186, 78457 Konstanz, Germany      |     /
    \    |       Phone:(49)7531-882622, Fax:883095      |    /
  /                  (   )      Oooo.                          \
                               (_/

       Anything that is good and useful is made of chocolate.