Corpora: legal texts encoding

Pincemin F. et B. benie at club-internet.fr
Tue Oct 23 10:11:10 UTC 2001

Dear list members,

We have collected legal texts concerning human rights (roughtly 30 texts in 2
and/or three  languages :  English, French, Spanish) and we would like to
encode them so that our corpus can be re-utilized for other projects.

We envisage to conform to TEI/XCES, unless there is a more appropriate standard
: linguists and/or lawyers might have defined special schemes for corpus in
this field.

Has anyone heard of standards applicable specially to legal texts (namely
treaties) ?

Does anyone have some related profitable experience to share ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Benedicte PINCEMIN, Fabrice ISSAC and Christine CHODKIEWICZ
Laboratoire de Linguistique Informatique
Universite de Paris XIII - Villetaneuse.