Corpora: Search engines (summary)

Hristo Tanev htanev at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 15:30:57 UTC 2001

Dear "Corpora" list members,
A week ago I have posted a message with the subject :
"Searching for a search engine"
Since then I have received a lot of interesting
emails.
I thank all of you, who helped me with my search. Here
I want to summarise the messages considering that
topic (on-site search engines)

1.Constantin Orasan, Researcher from University of
Wolverhampton, gave me two interesting addresses:
http://www.htdig.org - for onsite Web searchn (free)
http://webglimpse.net/ - also for onsite Web search
(free demo, but full version - commercial)

2.Robert Luk gave me a link to a demo of his search
engine
http://www.comp.polyu.edu.hk/~csrluk/cgi-bin/hkpu
I suppose also a web on-site search. I don't know the
conditions for obtaining that software.

3.Julien Nioche referred to Lucene search engine.
(http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/index.html).
I still haven't tried the engine itself, but according
to the documentation it is really good and completely
free! It is Java based.

4.Veronika Haderlein directed me to the home page of
the company "FastSearch" www.fast.no
Enterprise solutions, commercial.

5.Antonio Valderrabanos referred  also to  Lucene
(though different address www.lucene.org) and the
DtSearch engine
www.dtsearch.com
commercial product

6. Laurie Gerber sent me a nice link to a big Search
Engine index on the Web
http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools.html

7.Adam Przepiorkowski referred to INFERNOSearch , a
commercial product. The address for further
information, given to me was
(Ewa.Wiszowata at nutechsolutions.com.pl)

8. N.Fredette pointed out that a search engine, which
can be found on http://swish-e.org is quite successful
I haven't checked that link yet.

Thanks all of you for this thoroughful list of
search-engine info obtained. I really find it very
useful. Hope if someone else is interested  he will
find this references useful.

Best wishes!

Hristo Tanev, PhD
Instituto Trentino di Cultura