Corpora: Summary: Named Entity Recognition Software

Dan Winchester D.Winchester at cs.bham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 30 12:03:21 UTC 2001

Hello All,

Below is a summary of the replies to my query regarding
freely available NER software.

Thanks very much to
Eric Breck
Katerina Pastra
& Yorick Wilks

I will re-post if I get additional replies.

Best Regards

Dan Winchester

Eric Breck writes:

Checkout Alembic and Phrag, both open-source NE taggers
available from
research groups at MITRE corp (www.mitre.org).  Alembic is
based on Brill
rules and Phrag on an HMM-style architecture.  If you can't
find a
webpage, mbv at mitre.org and john at mitre.org, respectively, are
the folks to
contact.

Both Katerina Pastra and Yorick Wilks suggested the
GATE architecture

Katerina Writes,

You may want to give a look at GATE (General Architecture
for Text Engineering).
This is a platform for developing NLP applications, created
by the Natural Language Processing Group, at the University
of
Sheffield. It provides (among other) all the necessary
modules for building a Named Entity Recognition
tool for English and at the same time, it can be customized
to your own language and processing resources.
Have a look at:
http://gate.ac.uk/