Corpora: THX: Wordsmith question

Van den Heuvel M Mev MVDH at sun.ac.za
Thu Apr 4 06:21:44 UTC 2002

Thanks for all you very useful inputs. I am indeed using a Windoze system as
you surmised, so the unix tools won't be that helpful to me. But I did take
note of all the tips on diff and cygwin. Regarding the MS Word tip on
comparing documents - that doesn't work too well in this case, since the
comparison focuses on editing changes - so all the differences in
capitalisation and punctuation that occur are shown, but not the missing
items.

I implemented a roundabout method in Wordsmith suggested by Oliver Mason and
copied the two lists to a third document. The one list was copied twice and
the other only once. I then calculated the word frequencies again in
Wordlist, and the scores indicated what was missing where. A score of
3=present in both lists; 2=present only in the list that was copied twice
and 1=present only in the list that was copied once. Since I was in quite a
hurry to get the work done, it seemed like a good idea at the time and it
did save me a lot of time and numerous headaches.

***