Corpora: Learner Corpora

Nadja Nesselhauf nadjanesselhauf at web.de
Sat Apr 20 10:36:52 UTC 2002

Hanelle,

Dave Willis (e.g. in The Lexical Syllabus 1990) calls a corpus designed to
help learners by including the type of language they need to acquire a
"learner's corpus". This term is not widely used, however, and is a bit
unfortunate owing to its similarity to "learner corpus", which has become a
fairly established term (for a corpus of learner language, as you said). If
you actually creating such a corpus (i.e. a systematic collection of
scientific texts written by native speakers) and are not merely looking for
a collection of uses of scientific terms as Eric Atwell suggested, and would
like information on how to best use a self-made small ESP corpus in the
classroom, you might want to have a look at Ma, Bruce, Learning strategies
in ESP classroom concordancing: an initial investigation into data-driven
learning; In Flowerdew /Tong 1994, Entering Text (Hong Kong: University of
Secience and Technology).

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Nadja Nesselhauf