[Corpora-List] Aligner for ParaConc?

Sampo Nevalainen samponev at cc.joensuu.fi
Thu Aug 1 11:55:08 UTC 2002

I can't stop buggin' you people with my questions...

I wonder if there is any (freely available) alignment tools to be used with
ParaConc? That is, the aligner should let users save the original and
target texts into separate files. I know there is an aligner in the WS
Tools pack, but for some reason the program tends to "re-join" the
sentences you already "un-joined"... Well, you can use the WSTools Aligner
if you get the job done at once, in one go, without saving and re-opening
the files. (I don't know whether it's my fault - I cannot use the program
correctly - or there's a bug in the prog.) I also know there are alignment
tools for "filling up" translation memories (e.g. Trans Suite 2000 Align,
which is distributed freely), but they seem not to have an option of saving
the source and the target texts into separate files. Ok, I could save the
output file as a text file with a separator between the segments, then open
it to Excel using these separators as column separators, and, finally, save
each column as a separate text file... but this makes a simple task too
complicated, IMHO.

So, could someone help me to find out an aligner (preferably Windows GUI,
to be used in a classroom) that would simply split the texts into sentences
and let the user correct the alignment by joining and unjoining sentences?
The program should then save the files into separate (ascii) text files.
Many thanks in advance for your tips and advice!

best,
sampo

( : ============================================= : )

Sampo Nevalainen, M.A.
Researcher
University of Joensuu
Savonlinna School of Translation Studies
P.O.Box 48
FIN-57101 Savonlinna
FINLAND

tel     +358-15-511 70      (operator)