Corpora: when does a subcorpus become a corpus

P bI K O B_ B.B. rykov at narod.ru
Fri Jan 4 13:05:44 UTC 2002

  I would like to make a little example. There was a report here about distribution of the meanings of the verb "moch'". This Russian verb has two main meanings - "can" and "may".

  Would my distributions based on the corpora like Corpus of Russian Proverbs, Political metaphors or Russian newspapers have any value - or - in other words - tell us smth about Russian language as a whole? I think that the proof of it can give the texts of general carefully compiled balanced represantative corpus of Russian language.

--
Vladimir Rykov, PhD in Comp Linguistics,
 MOSCOW