Corpora: corpus linguistics course

P bI K O B_ B.B. rykov at narod.ru
Mon Mar 25 10:03:27 UTC 2002

   I'll read my lectures in mid-April also.

   As to me - I plan to follow McEnery's CL book and Cathrine Ball's course - both are in WWW.

   My only problem is: I prefer BUC as best for studying and I had it for free on mainframe tape. But I can not get it - because it is for fee now.

>Dear CORPORA list members,
>
>I would like to join Beatrice Vautherin in her query on "How to organize a
>CL course". I too am planning my first corpus linguistics course with
>thirteen 90-minute sessions, starting April 15th. Unfortunately I won't be
>able to use a computer lab and have real hands-on sessions as we don't have
>the facilities and the group of students will probably be quite large (not
>possible to limit numbers, so I might end up with 50+ students). In order
>not to give an exclusively theoretical introduction to CL I decided to have
>laptop+beamer ready throughout the course for software demos and corpus
>queries.
>
>Having made a list of the topics I want to include, my main problem is now
>to make decisions on how much time to spend on what. How much time will I
>need to deal with technical aspects of corpus
>compilation/design/annotation/typology etc. How many sessions should I spend
>on "CL and linguistic theory/theories", how many on corpus
>analysis/application and how many fields of application can be dealt with if
>I have let's say 8 sessions for that topic?
>
>Then I still need to find some more short articles (not longer than 10-12
>pages) I could give to my students to prepare short oral presentations. Will
>selected sections from (introductory) CL textbooks be more useful for this
>purpose than descriptions of specific research projects?
>
>Would be great if anyone of you could help! Thanks very much in advance!
>Best,
>Ute
>______________________________________
>Ute RЖmer
>UniversitДt zu KЖln
>Englisches Seminar
>Albertus-Magnus-Platz 1
>50923 KЖln
>Germany
>Phone: +49(0)221 470 3038
>E-mail: ute.roemer at uni-koeln.de

    P bI K O B  B.B.   MOCKBA

Vladimir Rykov, PhD in Computational Linguistics,
 MOSCOW
http://rykov.narod.ru/
Engl. http://www.blkbox.com/~gigawatt/rykov.html
Tel +7-903-749-19-99