[Corpora-List] accented characters in webcorp

Antoinette Renouf ant at rdues.liv.ac.uk
Tue Nov 12 16:05:52 UTC 2002

Dear Tony
The latest version of WebCorp, which has been made available for
beta-testing to all ICAME members including yourself, generates
accented output with no trouble. For `né', it retrieves hundreds of
instances (before it times out). Perhaps you are using the earlier
version?
Antoinette

p.s. queries about the system can also be sent to the `Feedback' facility
on WebCorp.

> From: "Tony Berber Sardinha" <tony4 at uol.com.br>
> To: "corpora list - messages to list" <CORPORA at hd.uib.no>
> Subject: [Corpora-List] accented characters in webcorp
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:24:50 -0200
>
> Dear list members
>
> Does anyone know how to search for words with accented characters on WebCorp
> (http://www.webcorp.org.uk/)?
>
> I wanted to get a concordance for "né". Google reports about 2,630,000
> occurrences; WebCorp, on the other hand, returns just 6 lines. When I typed
> "né" (without the quotes), it returned just 2 occurrences.
>
> thanks ahead
>
> cheers
> tony.
> -------------------------------------
> Dr Tony Berber Sardinha
> LAEL, PUC/SP
> (Catholic University of Sao Paulo, Brazil)
> tony4 at uol.com.br
> http://lael.pucsp.br/~tony
> [New website]

-----------------
Antoinette Renouf
Director
Research and Development Unit for English Studies
University of Liverpool
19 Abercromby Square
Liverpool
L69 7ZG