[Corpora-List] Plea for help

Nigel Harwood <nh19@canterbury.ac.uk> nh19 at cant.ac.uk
Sun Nov 17 17:05:21 UTC 2002

For a study on Business writing, try:

Hyland K (1998) Exploring corporate rhetoric: metadiscourse in the
CEO's letter. (1998) Journal of Business Communication. 35 (2):
224-245.

Best
Nigel

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 00:54:53 +0000 Isa Abdul kaader
<I.Abdul-kaader at postgrad.umist.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Geoffrey,
>
>     Many thanks for your suggestions, Geoffrey and to all the others who gave
> such wonderful advise with books etc for me to get an understanding of Corpus
> Linguistics.
>
>    Having understood the essentials, have decided to focus on attention on
> academic writing especially
> 1. Business Writing ( letters of compliant and adjustment) and /or
> 2. Technical Report writing ( could be hardware/software developemnt in higher
> technical institutions).
>

>     Apart from the critical study in langauge teaching materials by Kennedy (
> 1987a) Holmes ( 1988), Mindt ( 1992) and especially Conrad ( 1996b)who dealt
> with academic text and corpus based techniques, ARE there any other study that
> looks at specialized registers like business writing and technical reports.
>
>      Have yet to get full access to BNC but would like to know if such corpora
> ( registers) could be obtained from the "Official document and Academic Prose"
> listing in the BNC index to compare the linguistic characteristics of the
> corpus that I wish to compile.
>
>      I want to compile a small corpus (20,000 to 30,000) with regard to the
> register listed. I do NOT KNOW how to get started with this.  Need all help
> with this.
>
>       In short, I am interested in compiling a corpus to study its
> characteristics and applications to exploit it to design best possible
> materials and activities to help my students understand and produce the
> registers listed above appropriately (helping students with language that is
> actually used in these settings).
>
>      Keen to know research that states appropriateness and potential of
> corpus ( including collacations) in Computer Assisted Langauge Learning at
> higher insitutions especially to teach technical writing.
>
> Very many thanks in advance for your all your help.
>
> Rafiq
> Temsek Polytechnic
> Singapore

Nigel Harwood
Dept of Language Studies
Canterbury Christ Church University College
North Holmes Road
Canterbury CT1 1QU
Tel +44 078 117 117 74
email nh19 at canterbury.ac.uk