[Corpora-List] On tools for indexing and searching large corpora

Arne Fitschen fitschen at ims.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Nov 19 13:04:56 UTC 2002

mdavies at ilstu.edu wrote:

> This is a question that I've asked myself many times.  I would love to see a
> book that discussed the approach taken by the BNC, the BoE, CREA, corpora based
> on the IMS Corpus Workbench (such as O Público), etc to "look under the hood"
> and see how each of these corpora and indexing schemes is organized.  As you
> mentioned, as more and more people start creating 100+ million word corpora, it
> would be a shame if they all ended up having to re-invent the wheel.

I don't know of such a book, but for the IMS Corpus Workbench I believe
that some of the ideas concerning data storage and indexing schemes were
taken from this book:

Ian H. Witten, Alistair Moffat, and Timothy C. Bell
Managing Gigabytes
Compressing and Indexing Documents and Images
May 1999

(here's a link to the second edition of the book:
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/mg/).

Regards,
Arne Fitschen