[Corpora-List] Corpus Linguistics 2003 call for participation

Rayson, Paul rayson at exchange.lancs.ac.uk
Fri Feb 7 17:39:59 UTC 2003

CORPUS LINGUISTICS 2003

Lancaster University (UK), 28 - 31 March 2003

CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS

Corpus Linguistics 2003 will be a forum for all concerned with the
computer-assisted empirical analysis of natural language. Our definition of
'corpus' is broad, and we therefore welcome those working on substantial
literary texts or other kinds of text collection as well as more 'traditional'
corpus linguists.
Similarly, we wish to encourage further cross-fertilization between work
occurring in language engineering (e.g. information extraction, parsing) and
linguistics. We believe that corpus linguists should be aware of the latest
developments in language processing. We also believe that language engineers
should be aware of the findings and needs of corpus linguists.

The conference will include invited talks from:
Nicoletta Calzolari - Corpora and the lexicon
Michael Hoey - topic TBA
Susan Hunston - Frame, phrase, or function: a comparison between frame
semantics and local grammars
Nancy Ide - Everything you wanted to know about the American National Corpus
... but were afraid to ask

There will be four pre-conference workshops:

Corpus-Based Approaches to Figurative Language
Learner Corpora: Design, Development and Applications
Multilingual Corpora: Linguistic Requirements and Technical Perspectives
Shallow Processing of Large Corpora (SProLaC 2003)

Details of the workshops, and the more than 130 accepted papers and posters are
available on the conference website:

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/cl2003/

The aims of Corpus Linguistics 2003 are:

1. to encourage dialogue between those working on similar issues in different
languages and between areas with a (perhaps as yet untapped) potential to
interact.

2. to encourage dialogue between researchers using corpora in linguistics and
those using corpora in language engineering.

DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION February 13th 2003

Registration site: http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/ucrel/cl2003/register.html

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

Local committee

Tony McEnery (Lancaster University)
Andrew Wilson (Lancaster University)
Paul Rayson (Lancaster University)
Paul Baker (Lancaster University)

General committee

Eric Atwell, University of Leeds, UK
Michael Barlow, Rice University, USA
Mark Davies, Illinois State University, USA
Tomaz Erjavec, Jozef Stefan Institute, Slovenia
Rob Gaizauskas, University of Sheffield, UK
Randall Jones, Brigham Young University, USA
Charles Meyer, University of Massachusetts at Boston, USA
Tamás Váradi, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Hungary
Anne Wichmann, University of Central Lancashire, UK
Shunji Yamazaki, Daito Bunka University, Japan

ADDRESS

Organising Committee
Corpus Linguistics 2003
Department of Linguistics and MEL