[Corpora-List] List of determiners

bond at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp bond at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp
Thu Jun 5 13:12:23 UTC 2003

G'day,

> Hi all,

> Does anybody know of/have a (exhaustive) list of english determiners? -

If you include numerals (as I do), then an exhaustive list is
difficult but:
\begin{myfigure}
  \begin{center}
    \begin{itemize}
    \item pre-determiners
      \begin{itemize}
      \item quantifiers: \eng{all, both}
      \item fractions: \eng{half, one-third, \ldots}
      \item multiples: \eng{double, twice, three times, \ldots}
      \item \eng{what} (exclamative: \eng{What a great party!})
      \end{itemize}
    \item central determiners
      \begin{itemize}
      \item articles: \eng{the, a(an), some, any}
      \item demonstratives: \eng{this/these}, \eng{that/those}
      \item possessive pronouns: \eng{my, your, his, her, its, their, our}
      \item possessive phrases: \eng{the king's}, \eng{his friend's}, \ldots
      \item quantifiers \eng{no, some, any, either, neither, another,
          each, enough, much, more,  most, less, a few, a little, many
          a, several}
      \item \eng{which, what} (interrogative: \eng{What sound is that?})
      \item pronouns: \eng{we}, \eng{us}, \eng{you}
      \end{itemize}
    \item post-determiners
      \begin{itemize}
      \item cardinal numerals: \eng{one, two, three, \ldots}
      \item fixed-numbers: \eng{dozen, score, \ldots}
      \item quantifiers: \eng{every, many, few, little}
      \item emphatic possessive: \eng{own}
      \item \eng{such}
      \end{itemize}
\end{itemize}
    \caption{Determiners Grouped by Linear Order}
    \label{fig:det-order}
  \end{center}
\end{myfigure}
%%
%%  This list is meant to be exhaustive, modulo the open sets
%%

The same list, grouped by meaning is:

\begin{myfigure}
  \begin{center}
    \begin{itemize}
\item quantifiers
  \begin{itemize}
  \item cardinal numerals \eng{one, two, three, \ldots}
  \item other quantifiers \eng{all, both, no, some, any, much, many, few, a
      few, little, a little, either, neither, another, enough, more,
      most, less, many a, several}
      \item fractions: \eng{half, one-third, \ldots}
      \item multiples: \eng{double, twice, three times, \ldots}
  \end{itemize}
\item possessives
  \begin{itemize}
  \item possessive pronouns: \eng{my, your, his, her, its, their, our}
  \item possessive phrases: \eng{the king's}, \eng{his friend's}, \ldots
  \item emphatic possessive: \eng{own}
  \end{itemize}
\item determinatives
  \begin{itemize}
  \item articles: \eng{the, a/an, some/any}
  \item demonstratives: \eng{this/these}, \eng{that/those}
  \item \eng{which, what} (interrogative)
  \item \eng{what} (exclamative)
  \item \eng{such}
  \item pronouns: \eng{we}, \eng{us}, \eng{you}
  \end{itemize}
\end{itemize}
\caption{Determiners Grouped by Meaning}
    \label{fig:det-meaning}
  \end{center}
\end{myfigure}

These are from my dissertation "Determiners and Number in English
contrasted with Japanese, as exemplified in Machine Translation".

http://www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/mtg/members/bond/pubs/2001-phd.html

> Preferably annotated with information on type (weak/strong,
> symmetric/non-symmetric, ...). I'm studying there-constructions -which
> determiners occur, and which don't.

Sorry, I don't have information on those features.

--
Francis Bond  <www.kecl.ntt.co.jp/icl/mtg/members/bond/>
NTT Communication Science Laboratories | Machine Translation Research Group