[Corpora-List] Legal aspects of compiling corpora

Mike Scott mike at lexically.net
Thu Jun 19 09:22:40 UTC 2003

I think we should be grateful to Doug for a very useful common-sense and
backed-up contribution. It is clear why copyright is necessarily a grey
area. I applaud our CL community attempt to stake a claim in this
reasonable way. Ideally we should have a statement on the web to which we
could point as our reference when negotiating with non-CL people to show
what our collective aims are and what we do with corpora we build up. The
Jane Austen <fortune> example is very helpful for others to understand what
we want and to allay their suspicions & fears.

Mike