[Corpora-List] Is the TEI a waste of time?

Stephen Miller Stephen.Miller at assoc.oeaw.ac.at
Fri Jun 27 09:42:54 UTC 2003

At 09:09 AM 6/26/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>[snip]
>Related to both of these issues is that of the documentation available
>to educate people & help potential users understand what TEI is, does,
>& is good for. A research assistant & I have recently been poring over a
>
>couple chapters of the TEI guidelines, looking for guidelines & relevant
>examples to add some markup to our already (mostly) TEI-conformant
>corpus
>markup scheme. Although the documentation is extensive, it is inadequate
>
>in many ways, missing examples, not very good at giving a larger picture
>to people who aren't sure if they need/want the TEI at all or who just
>need
>some pointers to a few relevant sections. If the only people who can
>read the documentation and make use of it are information/library
>science
>people who are specifically trained in that area, then it's no wonder
>linguists & others who are in the business of building corpora are not
>using it or promoting it.
>[snip]

Besides the various guides/tutorials linked off the "Teach Yourself TEI"
page at http://www.tei-c.org/Tutorials/index.html (although the best single
introduction in my opinion is still  "TEI Lite: An Introduction to Text
Encoding for Interchange" at
<http://www.tei-c.org/Lite/>http://www.tei-c.org/Lite/ ) I notice "TEI for
Text Corpora", a comprehensive set of presentations given by Lou Burnard at
the ELSNET Summer School on Language and Speech Communication 2001, these
are available at http://www.tei-c.org/Talks/ESS2001/index.html

Indeed everything TEI-wise is available somewhere on the TEI site at
http://www.tei-c.org/ and what is not there is easily to be found with an
email to the TEI-L list. I must also add that the TEI community is one of
the most helpful I have ever met and emails are answered both rapidly and
in depth. There is a considerable pool of expertise out there which can be
easily accessed.
Stephen Miller