[Corpora-List] Summary of responses: Sublanguage/controlled language

MAVILOS MAVILOS at terra.es
Sat Nov 15 13:29:46 UTC 2003

Dear all,

two weeks ago, I posted a a query dealing with sublanguages and
controlled languages.

First of all, I'd like to thank Anthony Weaber, L. Carmichael, Joel
Kuipersm K.B. Cohem¡n, Antoinette Renouf, Gregor Erbach, Ruslan Mitkov,
Stephen Johnson and Marcial Terrádez for their responses.

The difference and limit between sublanguage and controlled language is
not clear in some cases, although some resesearchers believe that
weather reports may be a a controlled language, most of them agree in
considering it a sublanguage. But there is a strong emphasis in the
terms discourse, genre, style in relation to them.

It's important to mention that sublanguages and controlled languages
are not mutually exclusive. I think that a controlled language could be
better dedigned from a sublanguage, due to the closure it shows in its
linguistic features.

However, I think that the CL is defined for a special purpose as to
write aeronautic reports (for Example AECMA), but sublanguages are a
natural subset of the language. They do not need to be defined. So for
me this is the most important difference. For this reason weather
reports are a sublaguage not a CL.

This is a summary of the sources recommeded:

-"Sociolinguistic perspectives on register" edited by Biber, The papers
in that volume discuss the boundaries for the dialect, register, genre,
style, etc terms as well as how they linguistically manifest.
- `Explorations in Corpus Linguistics', by Nelleke Oostdijk1998,
(Rodopi).
-	Kittredge, R. 2003. Sublanguages and Controlled Languages., In
Mitkov, R. (Ed) The Oxford Handbook of Computational
Linguistiucs,Oxford University Press.

Victoria López