[Corpora-List] Sorting upper-ASCII chars in Unix

William Fletcher fletcher at usna.edu
Mon Nov 24 19:10:55 UTC 2003

A recent query elicited numerous responses from Unix gurus.  Perrhaps
one of them can help me with a question that has our Unix people
stumped.

I have been trying to use the Unix sort function to sort files which
contain upper-ASCII characters (i.e. ASCII code > 127) on a machine with
locale, language and charset set to US English.  Lower-ASCII characters
and some upper-ASCII characters sort fine, but some upper-ASCII
characters (specifically some non-alphanumeric ones) are left in
semi-random order.

How should the relevant environmental variables be set to permit sorting
files in straight ASCII order?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Fletcher