[Corpora-List] Macintosh

Damon Allen Davison davison at uni-koeln.de
Fri Aug 6 10:19:32 UTC 2004

Hi Bob,

Bob Parks wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good text processing program, similar to Mike
> Scott's Wordsmith, for the Macintosh?

I know of no complete solution such as Wordsmith available for the Mac,
but since Mac OS X is a BSD UNIX operating system, all of the standard
UNIX text tools work with it.  That means you can use grep and sed and
various other tools.  They may lack the GUI, but they are very powerful.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/easysurf/munix.htm
http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/doc/grep.html

In addition it has Perl installed on it, so you can use any number of
tools written in Perl.  The same thing goes for Ruby and Python.  I use
my own scripts written in Perl (on a Linux system) when I am using a Mac.

And finally, you can always install Virtual PC with Windows and use
Wordsmith.  Given the learning curve of the other methods, this might be
an ideal solution.

Best,

Damon