[Corpora-List] parser for name-internal structure

Hal Daume III hdaume at ISI.EDU
Mon Nov 22 17:32:41 UTC 2004

Hi Fellow Corpora Folks --

At a recent ACE (Automatic Content Extraction) meeting, there was
discussion regarding the parsing of the internal structure of names,
something (I believe) along the lines of:

  "President George W. Bush"  -->

   [ First  = "George",
     Middle = "W.",
     Last   = "Bush",
     PreMod = "President"
   ]

There was a suggestion that there existed at least one or two publically
available tools to do such parsing (rule-based, as I understood it).
Here at ISI we've recently begun to desire such a tool (both for
ACE-specific work and otherwise).  If anyone has, or knows of, such a tool
and would be willing to share such this tool/knowledge with us, we'd be
quite appreciative.  (Or, alternatively, if anyone has annotated data of
this sort, that would be a good second option.)

Best,

 - Hal

 Hal Daume III                                   | hdaume at isi.edu
 "Arrest this man, he talks in maths."           | www.isi.edu/~hdaume