[Corpora-List] Final CFP: AAAI-05 Spring Symposium on Knowledge Collection from Volunteer Contributors

Rada Mihalcea rada at cs.unt.edu
Tue Oct 5 11:48:04 UTC 2004

C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

AAAI Spring Symposium 2005
KNOWLEDGE COLLECTION FROM VOLUNTEER CONTRIBUTORS

http://teach-computers.org/kcvc05.html

Deadline for extended abstracts: October 8, 2004

This symposium is centered around the idea of collecting
knowledge from large groups of volunteer contributors in
a distributed environment.

Many AI tasks depend on having large amounts of knowledge
and data.  There are knowledge bases to be constructed,
corpora to be tagged, long training sessions, and so forth.
Such resources are critical to our success, but building
them can be difficult and time-consuming. What if we could
farm out most of that work out to thousands of volunteers
on the Internet?

Collecting knowledge from volunteer contributors (unstructured
or with contributors organized into tiers and classes) can
potentially both enable new, more knowledge intensive approaches
to the current open problems in many subfields of Artificial
Intelligence and allow the field to tackle new challenges.

We invite submissions of papers addressing any of the following
or related issues:
 - What kinds of knowledge can and cannot be gathered
   from volunteer contributors?
 - How to evaluate the quality of knowledge collected with
   such an approach?
 - What kinds of knowledge are particularly suited for collection
   from humans?
 - How do we keep the volunteers interested in the teaching task,
   how to attract new contributors, and how to increase retention?
 - Can useful knowledge collection be successfully deployed as a
   side effect to user's activities, e.g. searching or using the
   web?
 - Can active learning techniques help focus on the most relevant
   knowledge?

[Important Dates]

Extended abstracts due: October 8, 2004
Notification of acceptance: November 5, 2004
Spring Symposium: March 21-23, 2005

[Additional Information]

See http://teach-computers.org/kcvc05.html or contact Timothy
Chklovski (timc at isi.edu) for up-to date information.

[Organizing Committee]

Timothy Chklovski, USC / Information Sciences Institute
Pedro Domingos, University of Washington
Henry Lieberman, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Rada Mihalcea, University of North Texas
Push Singh, Massachusetts Institute of Technology