[Corpora-List] Chomsky

Mary Califf mecalif at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 14 12:37:05 UTC 2004

You'll actually find that idea in pretty much anything Chomsky wrote in
linguistics.  He distinguished between competence, which could be
perfect, and performance, which is not.  A corpus clearly would
represent performance of language.  The idea was probably best explained
by him in his Aspects of the Theory of Syntax, MIT Press, 1965.

Mary Elaine Califf