[Corpora-List] 2005 Australasian Language Technology Workshop: 2nd CFP

Timothy Baldwin tim at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Aug 27 13:58:52 UTC 2005

Apologies for cross-postings ...

	  2005 AUSTRALASIAN LANGUAGE TECHNOLOGY WORKSHOP (ALTW2005)

			    SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

		   University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia

			    10 - 11 December 2005

		      Submissions due: 15 September 2005

		    http://www.alta.asn.au/events/altw2005

	       Workshop contact email: workshop AT alta.asn.au

PURPOSE

A two-day workshop on Natural Language Technology will be organised by the
Australasian Language Technology Association (ALTA).  This event will be the
third annual installment of the workshop in its most-recent incarnation, and
the continuation of an annual workshop series that has existed under various
guises since the early 90s.

The workshop will be held in conjunction with a day of tutorials, also at the
University of Sydney, on 9 December, 2005.

The goals of the workshop are:

 * to bring together the growing Language Technology (LT)
   community in Australia and New Zealand and encourage interactions;
 * to encourage interactions between this community and the
   international LT community;
 * to foster interaction between academic and industrial research;
 * to encourage dissemination of research results;
 * to provide a forum for the discussion of new and ongoing research and
   projects;
 * to provide an opportunity for the broader artificial intelligence
   community to become aware of local LT research; and, finally,
 * to increase visibility of LT research in Australia, New Zealand
   and overseas.

An innovation in this year's Australasian Language Technology Workshop will be
the introduction of poster presentations in addition to the regular talks, in
order to encourage more interactive discussion of research-in-progress.  In
this vein, we encourage submissions from students describing their thesis work
and any preliminary results.  Note that both publication types will have the
same status in the proceedings.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Ash Asudeh (University of Canterbury)
Eric Atwell (Leeds University)
Timothy Baldwin (University of Melbourne)
Steven Bird (University of Melbourne)
James Curran (Sydney University)
Walter Daelemans (University of Antwerp)
Robert Dale (Macquarie University)
Dominique Estival (Defence Science and Technology Organisation)
Dan Flickinger (Stanford University)
Tanja Gaustad (Appen)
Graeme Hirst (University of Toronto)
Ben Hutchinson (University of Edinburgh)
Jong-bok Kim (Kyung Hee University)
Alistair Knott (University of Otago)
Valia Kordoni (University of Saarland)
Hang Li (Microsoft Research)
Diana McCarthy (University of Sussex)
Diego Molla (Macquarie University)
Ajeet Parhar (Telstra Research Laboratories)
Cécile Paris (CSIRO ICT Centre)
Jon Patrick (University of Sydney)
David Powers (Flinders University)
Tony Smith (Waikato University)
Harold Somers (Manchester University)
Nicola Stokes (NICTA Victoria)
Takaaki Tanaka (NTT Communication Science Laboratories)
Aline Villavicencio (University of Essex)
Menno van Zaanen (Macquarie University)
Simon Zwarts (Macquarie University)

ORGANISERS

Timothy Baldwin (University of Melbourne -- co-chair)
James Curran (University of Sydney -- local organiser)
Menno van Zaanen (Macquarie University -- co-chair)

TOPICS

We invite the submission of papers on original and unpublished research on all
aspects of natural language processing, including, but not limited to:

 * speech understanding and generation;
 * phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, and discourse;
 * interpreting and generating spoken and written language;
 * linguistic, mathematical, and psychological models of language;
 * language-oriented information extraction and retrieval;
 * corpus-based and statistical language modelling;
 * summarisation;
 * machine translation and translation aids;
 * natural language interfaces and dialogue systems;
 * natural language and multimodal systems;
 * message and narrative understanding systems;
 * evaluations of language systems;
 * computational lexicography.

We welcome submissions on any topic that is of interest to the LT
community, and particularly encourage submissions that broaden the
scope of our community through the consideration of practical LT
applications and through multi-disciplinary research.

SUBMISSION FORMAT

All papers are to be submitted electronically via the Commence system, at:

http://www.alta.asn.au/events/altw2005/submission/

If we cannot print your file by the submission date it will be rejected
without being reviewed.  Therefore you are encouraged to send an early version
with the typographical complexity of your final intended version so that we
can check if it is printable.

IMPORTANT DATES

  Paper submission:              15 September 2005
  Notification of acceptance:    15 October 2005
  Camera-ready copy:             1 November 2005
  Tutorials:                     9 December 2005
  Workshop:                      10 - 11 December 2005

MORE INFORMATION

A web page for ALTW2005 can be found on the ALTA web page:

http://www.alta.asn.au/events/altw2005

The workshop organisers can be contacted at:

workshop AT alta.asn.au

  Timothy Baldwin
  Senior Lecturer
  Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
  University of Melbourne
  Victoria 3010, Australia

  Tel:   (+61)-3-8344-1363
  Fax:   (+61)-3-9348-1184