[Corpora-List] Stubbs' analogy?

Michael Rundell michael.rundell at lexmasterclass.com
Wed Dec 14 16:05:12 UTC 2005

and then of course there is Michael Halliday's nice analogy between the climate (=the long-term, fairly stable, slowly evolving language 'system') and the weather (which can include all sorts of local quirks). When corpora are small and the data for any given linguistic feature is sparse, 'weather' effects can lead to bad conclusions: a single instance of a linguistic feature may just be an aberration. But as corpora become much larger, it gets easier to tell aberrations from regularities.

(Of course this may become a less useful analogy now that the cilmate itself is changing and becoming more like the weather)

the Halliday ref is:
MAK H. Corpus studies and probabilistiuc grammar
K Aijmer and B Altenberg (Eds) English corpus linguistics, Longman 1991: 30-43

Michael Rundell