[Corpora-List] Chiniese Name Gender Recognition

Heng Ji hengji at cs.nyu.edu
Thu Dec 22 17:46:09 UTC 2005

I believe your IR idea will boost the performance. Besides, you may want
to try applying pronoun reference resolution before gender disambiguation.
Since Chinese person pronouns are distinguished clearly based on genders.
If you could link the pronoun in the context with the name candidate, that
might help. In addition a few gender-specific title words in the context
would be useful too.

I would guess only using lexical information can accurately recognize name
genders for people born before 1980; but might not be enough for those
names appearing later - many names have been given intentionally
gender-insensitive.:) So you may want to incorporate the time frame
information in your system.

Heng