[Corpora-List] Lesser (sic) used languages

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Thu Feb 10 17:50:10 UTC 2005

Hans provides an excellent argument against deriving usage rules
from corpora ;-).  Rather than a long-winded discussion of grammar,
I'll just point out that 'less' would not be a meaningful substitution
for 'lesser' in any of the cases cited:

> "lesser extent" (402), "lesser degree" (109), "lesser of" (31),
> "lesser mortals" (29), "lesser spotted  (eagle/woodpecker etc.)" (25).

  "Lesser used languages" strikes me as a typical PC construction,
prompted by the same motivation as 'less-abled,' 'less well-abled'
and so on.  My guess is that a less-well-educated writer (see, it's
infectious!) first derived it from the definitely un-PC 'lesser languages.'
I'm all for the sentiment, but as far as this particular phrase goes,
count me in as another cringing native speaker.

    Doug Cooper