[Corpora-List] Morphological Analyser for Setswana

Gerhard van Huyssteen ntlgbvh at puknet.puk.ac.za
Fri Feb 11 18:46:22 UTC 2005

Dear Thapelo

Mike Maxwell is right: Sonja Bosch (project leader) and Laurette
Pretorius from Unisa, in collaboration with various other people, are
working on morphological analysers for the South African languages.
Rigardt Pretroius (ntlrsp at puk.ac.za) from the North-West University is
their collaborator on the Setswana part of the project. The project is
sponsored by the South African National Research Foundation.

One of our MA students, Karien Brits (bkkjhb at puk.ac.za), is currently
also working on a finite state morphological analyser for Setswana,
using the FSA tools from Groningen.

Hope this info helps.

Yours,
Gerhard

Prof Gerhard B van Huyssteen
Centre for Text Technology || Sentrum vir Tekstegnologie
North-West University || Noordwes-Universiteit
POTCHEFSTROOM
2531
South Africa || Suid-Afrika

Tel: +27 18 299 1488
Fax: +27 18 299 1562
ntlgbvh at puk.ac.za

Restrictions and disclaimer || Beperkings en vrywaringsklousule:
http://www.puk.ac.za/itb/e-pos/disclaimer.html

>>> "Thapelo Otlogetswe" <Thapelo.Otlogetswe at itri.brighton.ac.uk>
02/11/05 1:20 nm >>>
Dea

I am looking for work on the morphological analyser of Setswana or
Sesotho
using Xerox Tools (Beesley&Karttunen) or any Bantu language. I am
interested
in developing the analyser for Setswana but I am wondering if there
are
other people working in this area currently (or have done some work in
the
past). Any help will be appreciated.

Best wishes

Thapelo

Thapelo J. Otlogetswe

Information Technology Research Institute

University of Brighton

Lewes Road, Brighton

BN2 4GJ

United Kingdom

Tel: (+44) 1273 642912

Web page:  <http://www.itri.bton.ac.uk/~Thapelo.Otlogetswe>
www.itri.bton.ac.uk/~Thapelo.Otlogetswe

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
to gain that which  he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot