[Corpora-List] TWC GUIDED SEMINAR JUNE 2005

John Sinclair jms at twc.it
Mon Feb 21 14:34:53 UTC 2005

The Tuscan Word Centre

DIAL-a-CORPUS - COMPILING CORPORA FROM THE WEB

June 29th – JULY 2nd 2005

This is an intensive three-day Guided Seminar
(from midday Wednesday to midday Saturday)
It is not quite a Course, because the topic is more focused,
and we expect participants to have a particular interest in it
and some willingness to join in the discussions. It is a bit more
than a seminar, though, because we have engaged senior
international figures in corpus and computational linguistics to
present their own positions and lead the discussions.

The topic is the potential of the World Wide Web as a source of
a wide range of corpora, the problems involved in finding, evaluating
and classifying web documents, downloading and homogenising them
and making them accessible to software tools. To anyone involved in
corpus design and construction, this is a timely and important issue,
and optimism must be tempered with realism.  The team of
Khurshid Ahmad, Lou Burnard, Margaret Rogers, John Sinclair,
Elena Tognini Bonelli and Yorick Wilks will offer a broad range
of approaches to this topic.

TWC events are back in Tuscany after a year of being hosted abroad,
and take place in a new and beautiful venue near Siena.
We are pleased to say that we are able to offer this enhanced location
at no extra cost – our fees have been unchanged for several years now.

For details, see <www.twc.it>
For registration contact John Sinclair <jms at twc.it>
For the announcement of a Course that immediately precedes this
Guided Seminar see separate notice.  Participants who register for both
events will be offered a discount on the total fee.

John Sinclair
President, The Tuscan Word Centre