[Corpora-List] My semantic prosody questionnaire

Richard Brown ginestre at omnilog.com
Sat Jan 22 08:25:21 UTC 2005

I find this a very interesting experiment in principal, and would
definitely like to know more.  However, I must say that as a
linguistically aware (teacher of EFL for the last 25 years) native
speaker of English, I found it difficult to see much "wrong" with the
few examples you quoted from your questionnaire. The problem with
collocations is of course that they are only statistical; and there are
sub and sub meanings to every word that make most "unlikely"
collocations possible, and native speakers (by this I mean myself at
least) tend to extrapolate short sentences with unusual collocations in
our mind's eye to see if there is a plausible scenario into which the
collocation can fit.  Maybe you should use long and contextualised
examples to obviate or mitigate this aspect.

Richard Brown