[Corpora-List] Cree, Ojibwa, Tononac and other AmerIndian languages

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.cis.ru
Thu Jul 7 13:46:33 UTC 2005

Dear  Crpora colleagues,
In 1938 a Russian ethnographer and archeologist Prof.Dr. Aleksey P.
Okladnikov published an article on the rehistory of the Siberian tribes, in
which he put forward a theory that Neolitic tribes of Siberia crossed the
Bering ice or earth bridge to Noethern America. In the Americas there
were found no ape remnants, this is why the origin of man was not
possible. A.P. Okladnikov believed that the settlement of the Northern
America had at least two waves in the Paleolitic times. Some linguists
after that tried to find the similarities between the languages of the tribes
of Siberia and the Indians of America. I'd like to compare the sound
chains of the languages of the Siberian aboriginal peoples and the sound
chains of the languages of the American Indians. I failed to find any data
on the frequency of occurrence of the speech sounds in the languages of
American Indians. There were no publications on the frequencies of
occurrence of speech sounds in the aboriginal Siberian languages either.
This is why, in 1973 I started the project of counting the frequency of
occurrence of speech sounds in Siberian languages. Then in 1986
Prof.Dr. William Cowan of Carleton university (Canada) sent me
"Eastern Ojibwa-Chippewa-Ottawa Dictionary by Richard A. Rhodes"
to start the investigation of the frequency of occurrence of speech sound
in the AmerIndian language of Ojibwa. We have computed several
AmerIndian languages, among them Cree, Ojibwa, Totonac, etc. Now
we've got data on the frequency of occurrence of speech sound chains of
some 30 AmerIndian languages. We are trying to compare their data to
the other languages of Siberia and the world. The total number of the
computed languages is 176. We are looking for co-operation with those
American linguists who would like to compute some more languages of
the Americas to obtain the frequency of occurrence of speech sounds.
We'd be thankful to those colleagues who could advise us on where to
publish the article on the typological closeness (distances) of
AmerIndian languages. Looking forward to hearing from those who can
co-operate with us soon to yutamb at hotmail.com Remain yours sincerely
Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk, Russia