[Corpora-List] tools for QLF?

Mark A. Greenwood mark at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 14:16:45 UTC 2005

Hi,
	You might be interested in the BuChart parser which is shipped with the
GATE framework (http://gate.ac.uk). This produces both syntactic parse
trees and a simplified QLF representation. It also includes grammar
rules specifically designed to handle questions (although I can't
remember exactly how it deals with why questions).

For example parsing the question "Who wrote Hamlet?" gives the following
representation:

qvar(e1), qatr(e1,name), person(e1), lsubj(e2,e1), write(e2),
time(e2,past), aspect(e2,simple), voice(e2,active), lobj(e2,e3),
name(e3,'Hamlet')

Here the qvar represents the entity sought by the question and you can
see that entity e1 is a person, so the question is looking for a person
as an answer.

Hope this is helpful,

Mark A. Greenwood