[Corpora-List] Positive/commentatory and negative/derogatory subjective in textual report

Gaël Dias ddg at di.ubi.pt
Fri Jun 10 08:10:59 UTC 2005

Dear Yunqing,

I am sending you information gathered on the same topic a few months ago
on this list. I thank Jason Skomorowski, Olga Vechtomova, Raphael
Salkie, Andrei Popescu-Belis, David Day, Lilian Lee, Ralf Steinberger,
Marco Baroni and Diana Inkpen for their help.

Hope it will help you.

Best,

Gaël.

SOME BIBLIOGRAPHY:
------------------

[1] Steven Bethard, Hong Yu, Ashley Thornton, Vasileios
Hatzivassiloglou, and Dan Jurafsky.
Automatic extraction of opinion propositions and their holders. In
Working Notes of the AAAI
Spring Symposium on Exploring Attitude and A
ect in Text: Theories and
Applications, 2004.

[2] Kushal Dave, Steve Lawrence, and David M. Pennock. Mining the Peanut
Gallery: Opinion
Extraction and Semantic Classification of Product Reviews. In In
Proceedings of the 12th
World Wide Web Conference, 2003.

[3] Miles Efron. Cultural orientation: Classifying subjective documents
by cociation analysis.
In Proceedings of the 2004 AAAI Fall Symposium on Style and Meaning in
Language, Art,
Music, and Design, 2004.

[4] Vasileios Hatzivassiloglou and Kathleen R. McKeown. Predicting the
semantic orientation of
adjectives. In Proceedings of the Thirty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the
Association for Computational
Linguistics, pages 174–181, 1997.

[5] Jaap Hoepelman. Action, comparison and change: A study in the
semantics of verbs and
adjectives. Max Niemeyer Verlag, T¨ubingen, 1986.

[6] Minqing Hu and Bing Liu. Mining opinion features in customer
reviews. In Proceedings of the
ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery & Data
Mining, 2004.

[7] Matthew Hurst and Kamal Nigam. Retrieving topical sentiments from
online document collections.
In proceedings of the 11th conference on document recognition and
retrival, 2004.

[8] Tetsuya Nasukawa and Jeonghee Yi. Sentiment analysis: capturing
favorability using natural
language processing. In Proceedings of the International Conference on
Knowledge Capture,
2003.

[9] Bo Pang, Lillian Lee, and Shivakumar Vaithyanathan. Thumbs up?
Setentiment clasification
using machine learning techniques. In Proceedings of the 2002 conference
on empirical methods
in natural language processing, 2002.

[10] Wiebe J. M., Bruce R. F. and O'Hara T. P. (1999): "Development and
Use of a Gold-Standard Data Set for Subjectivity Classifications",
Proceedings ACL 1999 (37th Annual Meeting of the ACL), College Park, MD,
USA, pp. 246-253.

SOME USEFUL LINKS AND ON-LINE PAPERS:

SOME TEXT FROM LILLIAN LEE:
---------------------------

Given your specific focus on subjective vs. objective adjectives and
the use of co-occurrence measures, there might be some other papers of
interest to you.  In particular, Yu and Hatzivassiloglou separated
subjective from objective documents and I believe sentences as well,
using various word-based indicators.  Peter Turney and Michael Littman
have a number of papers on positive vs. negative adjectives. Bo Pang
and my ACL '04 "cutsent" paper that someone referred you to separates
subjective from objective sentences as well, and I believe Kim and
Hovy did too.  Beineke, Hastie et al expanded on Turney's approach.
Hatzivassiloglou and McKeown had an earlier paper on predicting the
semantic orientation of adjectives, which presumably influenced
Hatzivassiloglou and Wiebe's 2000 paper on the effects of adjective
orientation on sentence subjectivity.  Jonathon Read's masters thesis
addresses using pointwise mutual information as a cooccurrence measure
(which is essentially what Turney used, as well).

As for "summarizing and extracting sentiment", which sounds incidental
to your focus but is a category you mentioned in your email, there are
dozens of such papers; Wiebe et al's recent _Computational
Linguistics_ paper gives a survey of about up to '03, and our '04
paper gives some references occurring after that.

Yunqing Xia wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We are highly interested in distinguishing positive/commentatory
> subjecitve from negative/derogatory one in textual report. I searched
> the CORPORA archieve but found no relative discussion. So I try to ask
> the CORPORA colleagues to kindly provide information or links about
> projects and publications on this topic for English and Chinese. Thank
> you in advance for your replies.
>

> Best,
> Vincent

> Dr Yunqing Xia, Vincent
> Dept. of SEEM, CUHK
> Homepage: http://ihome.cuhk.edu.hk/~b110469/

Gaël Harry Dias, PhD		| Assistant Professor
Human Language Technology Group | Vice Chair of the Dept.
Computer Science Department     | [www.di.ubi.pt/~ddg]
Beira Interior University       | [ddg at di.ubi.pt]
6201-001 - Covilhã              | [Tel: +351 275 319 891]
PORTUGAL                        | [Fax: +351 275 319 899]