[Corpora-List] Brown Corpus

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 20:36:43 UTC 2005

Well, every generation has every right to reinvent the work of their
predecessors, but such a  "rationalization" seems to me to play somewhat
fast and loose with the design chosen by the original compilers of the
Brown Corpus... it was intended to comprise 500 equally-sized samples,
selected from 15 pre-defined categories.  By lumping together all the
samples from the same category you will wind up with differently sized
samples -- category J ("learned") has 80 texts, c. 160,000 words; while
category R ("humor") has only 9, i.e. 18,000 words.  That may not
matter, of course, for many applications, but it seems a shame to lose
that feature of the original design. Or will you preserve the original
text boundaries with some additional markup?
If so, you might like to consider that many of the original 2000 word
samples have some internal structure too: even within 2000 words, there
are samples taken from originally discontinuous sections of the
original.  Which most versions seem to disregard.

antiquariously,

Lou