[Corpora-List] *** SUMMARY *** Semantic Primitives

Aleem Hossain A.Hossain at cs.bham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 11:25:33 UTC 2005

Dear all,

Thanks for your replies on this topic.  I include a summary of responses
below.

Cheers,
Aleem

****************************

A number of people suggested work by Anna Wierzbicka, and in pariticular
her book "Semantics, Primes and Universals."

A couple of list members also recommended The Natural Semantic
Metalanguage Homepage (maintained by Cliff Goddard) which lists a lot of
resources and
information about his and Anna Wierzbicka's approach based on semantic
primes. The site also provides links to a number of online papers and a
bibliography of NSM works:

http://www.une.edu.au/arts/LCL/disciplines/linguistics/nsmpage.htm

Yorick Wilks, however, added a note of caution that the linguistic
approach (like Wierzbicka) won't demonstrate the many pracitcal systems
based on semantic primitives.  He suggested an encyclopedia of
language/linguistics as a goot starting point.

****************************

Eric Atwell suggested his work on  semantic primitives, based on LDOCE
defining vocabulary:

Demetriou G and Atwell E. 2001. A domain-independent semantic tagger for
the study of meaning associations in English text. In Harry Bunt, Ielka
van der Sluis and Elias Thijsse (editors), Proceedings of the Fourth
International Workshop on Computational Semantics (IWCS-4) pp.67-80.
Tilburg, Netherlands
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric/iwcs.pdf

semantic-primitives-enthusiasts:
https://mailman.rice.edu/pipermail/funknet/2002-September/002331.html).