[Corpora-List] English Grammar BNF?

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu Jun 30 20:36:34 UTC 2005

Rob,

The meaning of "workable" depends entirely on what
you happen to be working on:

 > Is there a good source for a workable BNF for English?
 > The domain I'm working with is "business English",
 > if that helps.

There is no naturally occurring domain of any natural
language for which a clean, simple BNF grammar is possible.
However, there are various dialects, called "controlled
languages", which restrict the syntax and semantics
in a way that makes them more manageable by computer.

Following is an article on the use of controlled languages:

    http://cslu.cse.ogi.edu/HLTsurvey/ch7node8.html#SECTION76
    Controlled Languages in Industry

You might also check the search engines for "controlled
language" or "controlled English".

John Sowa