Fw: [Corpora-List] computing semantic word similarity

Olga Mitrofanova alkonost at OM12520.spb.edu
Wed Nov 16 16:58:57 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Olga Mitrofanova
To: Dimitar Blagoev
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] computing semantic word similarity

Among recent papers on measuring word-similarity one should mention a book by Dominic Widdows "Geometry and Meaning"
http://infomap.stanford.edu/book/
(you can find references and demos for each chapter).

Certain strategies of measuring semantic distances were developed and discussed with regard to Slavic languages (cf. books by Ju. Apresjan, A. Novikov & E. Jaroslavtseva...). As far as I can judge from my own experience, the most profitable and linguistically adequate strategy of computing semantic similarity of words should combine lexicon-based and corpus-based approaches (like LSA).

Yours sincerely,
Olga Mitrofanova