[Corpora-List] estimates of written/spoken input

Paul Bennett paul.bennett at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 10:15:10 UTC 2005

Geoffrey Pullum and Barbara Scholze (in Linguistic Review 19, 2002, p44) cite
evidence that by the age of three a child in a professional household might
have heard 30 million word tokens (but far fewer for children in other social
classes). I know this relates to children rather than adults, but presumably
the amount of language heard does not differ much by age.

Their source is B. Hart and T. Risley: Meaningful Differences in the Everyday
Experiences of Young Children (Paul H Brookes, 1995). I haven't read this, but
I guess this would be a place to look for more information.

Paul Bennett