[Corpora-List] Australasian Language Technology Workshop 2005

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 12:57:55 UTC 2005

Imagine an LT workshop with more big-name invited speakers than ACL 2005,
namely:

   Dan Flickinger (Stanford, Oslo and Saarland Universities)
   Kathy McKeown (Columbia University)
   Virach Sornlertlamvanich (NICT Asia Research Center)

Imagine the spectacular backdrop of Sydney for such an eminent event, with the
guarantee of better weather than we will have for COLING/ACL 2006 ...

Imagine a painstakingly-selected smorgasbord of 30 papers with authors from 4
continents:

http://www.alta.asn.au/events/altw2005/program.html

Imagine that all of this were to take place next week, that's right, next week
folks ...

Imagine a tutorial day to kick all of this off on 9/12, with experts talking
about dialogue systems (wow!), conditional random fields (gosh!),
tree-adjoining grammar (gasp!) and document summarisation (yippee!) ...

The workshop? None other than our own ALTW 2005:

http://www.alta.asn.au/events/altw2005/index.html

Imagine now that the deadline for early registrations for this event were to
be 1/12/2005, just two days from now ...

What to do? Go ahead and register, via:

http://www.alta.asn.au/events/altw2005/registration.html

Also, just before you finally snap and add me to your spam blacklist, there is
to be an informal dinner (aka inter-faith meeting) with the hearty crew of
ADCS on the night of 11/12. The word on the street is that the ADCS dinner is
the unofficial highlight of the 2005 Sydney social calendar and not to be
missed. If you are interested in being part of this highly exclusive
invitation-only event, please email James Curran (james at it.usyd.edu.au) so we
can get an idea of numbers.

Hope to see you next week,

Tim Baldwin, Menno van Zaanen and James Curran

   Timothy Baldwin
   Senior Lecturer
   Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
   University of Melbourne
   Victoria 3010, Australia

   Tel:   (+61)-3-8344-1363
   Fax:   (+61)-3-9348-1184