[Corpora-List] Textbook corpora?

Deane, Paul PDeane at ETS.ORG
Fri Aug 4 16:30:56 UTC 2006

I've recently become interested in the possibility of constructing a
corpus of textbooks and other materials used in primary and secondary
schools (K-12). A quick review of what's readily available on the
internet doesn't reveal much work in this area. There's Donald Haye's
fairly small historical corpus of materials included in readers and
primers; there are a few studies using rather small textbook corpora for
EFL work, and there's mention here and there of the MacMillan Textbook
Corpus, but as far as I can tell it's not available for researchers, and
was primarily used in the construction of a dictionary. ETS supported
Biber's construction of a University-level academic corpus, but that is
relatively small and obviously focused above the level that I am
concerned with.

What I have in mind is not a large assemblage of texts with little
associated information, but rather a corpus designed to provide balanced
coverage over all school grades and subjects.

Does anyone know of more serious efforts to build a large and
representative corpus covering all grades and subject areas for primary
and secondary schools in any of the English-speaking countries?

Thanks,

Paul Deane

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information.
It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly.
If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute,
or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from
your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.

Thank you for your compliance.