[Corpora-List] Syntactic zeros in a corpus: possible solutions

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Mon Aug 28 16:45:27 UTC 2006

While I would agree that syntactic zeros are not theory-neutral and that
it is necessary to itemize them in some way, I don't think the tag-based
approach is so dire as suggested.  The parser that I use, developed by
Ned Irons (a co-inventor of syntax-directed compiling), envisions their
recognition in quite a regular fashion.  The parser is an augmented
transition network, in which a key part of a transition to a next parse
state is "additional processing".  The additional processing takes two
primary forms: (1) tests that particular conditions are met (e.g.,
subject-verb agreement) and (2) annotations to be attached to
(potential) nodes of the parse tree.  Among the many annotations, there
is one labeled "filler".  Attached to this label are sublabels, giving
specifications of whether the filler should be optional, an object, or
an adjective (say a question filler).  In the tests that are performed,
checks are made on whether the fillers are indeed filled elsewhere in
the sentence (and perhaps they're not, but rather constitute an
elision).  It seems to me that this approach can be primarily
data-driven.  If the parser doesn't grok, a good likelihood is that
syntactic zeroes are present and the grammar needs to be modified
accordingly.  (In parsing hundreds of thousands of sentences, where I
generally only have time to get an "impression" of what's going wrong,
these cases seem quite prevalent.  Unfortunately, I can't give a more
precise estimate.)

	Ken

--
Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
CL Research                       EMAIL: ken at clres.com
9208 Gue Road
Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA       Home Page: http://www.clres.com