[Corpora-List] Numpties and bennies

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 12:17:27 UTC 2006

Hi Harold,

A "benny" in the BNC examples is what is otherwise referred to as a
strop, a hissy fit, etc., ie a loud, lengthy and emphatic complaint; or
else I think it might also mean an argument. I'm guessing that if you've
not heard it that means it's restricted to particular dialects, although
I hadn't previously been aware that it was.

This use of "benny" is still current, so far as I'm aware, though I've
no idea whether it has any connection to the Crossroads soap. I don't
think it has anything to do with benzedrine.

best

Andrew.